

## Minutes

### Attendance

- 2016
- 2017
- late 2018
- proxy2019
- Cushing
- proxyDavison
- Ferry
- Jewett
- Joss
- Lathrop
- Main
- Noyes
- Raymond
- Strong
- South Commons
- Terrace Apartments
- Town Houses
- Town Students
- Finance
- Academics
- Activities
- Student Life
- Operations
- President

### Consensus agenda -

Finance: QCVC came in with a fund app for an event, they did a good job of getting costs down

approved

### New meeting procedures -

#### Reports -

student life: don't have many updates, sorry we are still working on the bulleted lists. Only update i have is I had a meeting with B nathan, which was very fruitful, she talked a lot about the alana center; it is in the process of being refurbished; we talked about collab between alana and VSA organizations in general. At some point in the future we will be discussing that; how we can be present at these events; stu life stay behind at the edn just to discuss se academics: i have a few more things than chris did; i made a syllabus archive which will be unveiled shortly, in the process of uploading that so you can ll look at it. CCP had its first meeting last week; second rep will be Matt higgins in this semester, next semester Cecilia

Hoang. Just a few priorities in that committee: premajor advising, field work, assessment system. We are allowing groups to bring proposals to CCP. Library committee meets next week.

student life: they have narrowed down the candidates for the equal opportunity and affirmative action, allowing students to sit in on those interviews. I will send out that info. By the end of sept will have a new one and a title ix officer.

Cushing: are we still going to help fund alana things

stu life: B and I talked about this, so it's first about budgeting those alana events and then working with Finance. It's all still in the works, nothing set in stone.

Jonathon Nichols: what's up with science literacy

Academics: some of the curricular proposals went to a vote and some didn't, the one brought to a vote failed by 60-40 roughly.

Update about serenading

Pres: we met to talk about serenading; no longer powder paing, water balloons as it has been in the past. It will be the sunday of families weekend. It will look pretty similar to how it has looked in the past. Fireworks, food trucks. Anyone in that meeting to add something?

THs: There was a vibe that admin is trying to kill the event slowly.

Strong: the date change isn't happening?

Pres: no, no one proposed a letter for us to discuss and get to them

Cushing: we need to talk more about the role of traditions committee. It's not really fair for admins to impose their decisions on this, especially when its a student activity. I don't know when we are supposed to have this conversation but it should be soon.

PResidnet: we talked with trad com, and as soon as serenading is done, that's all starting.

Socos: Just for some context about the whole why serenading isn't liked by admins: it's associated with hazing. One striking observation ive had is they've discussde it in past years, and the trend was that it was improving. Now just two admins have stepped in and had strong opinions about it. Talk to your upperclassmen and stufels about this. I have a potential amendment on my mind regarding trad com and then the following sunday conucil and look at it; it's basically making sure that they communicate.

Noyes: I think this speaks more largely to communication issues with administration. I think serenading hasn't always been a savory event, and I think its fine to challenge that this event.

Strong: we could change it altogether and name it something else

At-large (? Jesse?): Have there been a lot of Freshman who come forward with this as a concern?

Socos: I can direct respond; I would take the dean of freshman's feelings with a grain of salt. Their interests are about transitioning you to vassar and they don't see the relationship between you and the vsa as very important. They have a lot of motives in mind, again the word 'hazing,' they're the ones throwing that around, not us. It's a waterballoon fight and singing. It used to be a food fight. I think they have a lot

THs: I think the concern is with alcohol consumption. I know personally that I provided my own alcohol, and I think the issue is a college issue. With that logic, concerns are hazing

too. I think vassar does an excellent job providing safe spaces. I think it occurs at any college event. I've never heard that water balloon fights are hazing

CUshing: Fireworks and is food free?

Joss: food is free, yes there are fireworks

2017: There was talk a long time ago about involving all the classes on campus. Does this mean that everyone is invited? Do they want sophomores and juniors to attend also? I personally feel slightly uncomfortable with that.

Stu Life: I think there will be a longer time portion that doesn't involve singing. There will be food and fireworks so I think that is how they

Constituent concerns:

ths: one of my const. would like to know when our pics are going online? Also when is each committee meeting?

President: Socos has agreed to photo us, council you will be taking those pictures sometime this week. Also we are about to hire a webmaster.

Socos: also everyone at large please come to committee meetings, a lot of good work gets done there

TAs: can everyone please read the legal definition of hazing? also our admins should read that. Serenading is so far from that.

At-large (jesse): what does seem to me as more important is whether the freshman believe it is or isn't, I just think it's something to keep in mind

Main: the main elevator card reader wasn't working; and anyone could walk in and be on my doorstep, it took three days but it got fixed.

Noyes: serenading doesn't feel as optional as it is; the definition of hazing fits with serenading, I think we should just examine the roots of that

Jon: I looked up a definition and it includes the mental health and wellbeing of a freshman, and I think serenading fits in that

ferry: could we send out a survey, and ask if people found it to be uncomfortable, etc.

lathrop: it doesn't give a lot to the freshman, it's the upperclassmen

jewett: I think we should talk to the administration, because there are other reasons behind their censure of serenading

joss: in consideration of how much of this event is house team -- it takes a great amount of energy to rally the troops for this. I don't know that I can reconcile my own feelings about the event with my responsibility to the event.

Jesse: again all that matters is do the freshman consider hazing

2017: should we let it happen and then talk about it

Ferry: there is always a bee hive outside of ferry and bees get into our house all the time because the screens don't close all the way

PRes: stu life should talk about b&g responsibilities

Main: bugs and critters are getting into the house because it's getting colder

Cushing: there are bats that frequent the house

socos: all things that you pay for room and board go towards one pot; I highly encourage the council to consider writing a letter about this. This is decades in the making, ignoring repairs, keep it in mind if you want to asldfasdjfsa

ths: housing conditions are consistenly terrible. Many houses don't have hot water, peopel are showering in my house. I don't have working blinds. I think this is really worthwhile for all of us to

ferry: should we have a conversation as a council about student life?

president: yes lets do that

first-year elections timeline

abby: filing opens... etc.

vote to suspend the bylaws

y2016

y2017

2018

2019

yCushing

Davison

yFerry

yJewett

yJoss

yLathrop

yMain

yNoyes

yRaymond

yStrong

ySouth Commons

yTerrace Apartments

yTown Houses

yTown Students

yFinance

yAcademics

yActivities

yStudent Life

Operations

President

passes

tas: i will step in because it does matter and its not that easy and abby can't do it again

noyes: i will do it

y2016

y2017

2018

2019

yCushing  
Davison  
yFerry  
yJewett  
yJoss  
yLathrop  
yMain  
yNoyes  
yRaymond  
yStrong  
ySouth Commons  
yTerrace Apartments  
yTown Houses  
yTown Students  
yFinance  
yAcademics  
yActivities  
yStudent Life  
Operations  
President

passed

restructuring timeline

y2016  
y2017  
2018  
2019  
yCushing  
Davison  
yFerry  
yJewett  
yJoss  
yLathrop  
yMain  
yNoyes  
yRaymond  
yStrong  
ySouth Commons  
yTerrace Apartments  
yTown Houses  
yTown Students

yFinance  
yAcademics  
yActivities  
yStudent Life  
Operations  
President

passed

Open discussion

Finance: treasurer training, tues wed 6 pm rocky 300 it will be an email. you do not need to go to both.

cushing: is food truck friday still happening?

president: we've had issues

2017: there are a lot of junior reps that are missing how to we do

president: co-coordinators of the transitions programs will be coming next week

jewett: is it possible to have all the machines have vcash readers

socos: it was paid for by a class gift at some point. we can look into it in the meantime

president: ive also heard that rosaline cardillo wants all readers but it expensive

ferry: we can make a list and email out all the people who

VCLU representative

4th of sept. you sent an email about

- what was basis under which we lost our funding

2016: the treasurer wired money to his personal bank account. didn't follow protocols

- at what meeting was this disciplinary and who
- currently investigating the illegality of our actions

Jesse: we should consider the fact that vassar is a progressive college so we should

Jewett: we should have a conversation about politics and orgs and our relationship with them

Stu life: yes, we need to have that conversation, perhaps not tonight but i feel very sad if you as a club did feel very alienated because you shouldn't feel that way. there are a lot of complexities and i think its something we should discuss as two individual bodies.

Cushing: let's have this conversations and have it added to the agenda

ths: i know our research director would be interested in