

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

1 Call to Order

2 Attendance Operations

Proxies: Ferry, SoCos

3 Consensus Agenda

- a. VSA Operating (Discretionary)..... \$3554/\$3554
- b. Outing Club (Conference)..... \$0/\$750
- c. Miscellany News (Capital)..... \$309.90/\$309.90
- d. Vassar Haiti Project (Capital) \$1190/\$1190
- e. UNICEF (Collaboration)..... \$0/\$50
- f. Contrast (Collaboration) \$190.50/\$190.50
- g. Challah (Capital)..... \$67.95/\$67.95
- h. Act Out (Conference) \$2055/\$2500
- i. Crafts Not Bombs (Discretionary) Tabled
- j. Minutes From 11/9/14

President: Does anyone not agree? We will assume passed.

4 Forum on with Community Works.....Community Works (30 min)

Community Works: Hi everyone, I am the chair of the community works committee, overseeing their annual philanthropic campaign. I wanted to let everyone know why we have this each year. 10 years ago we withdrew from United Way because they insisted on contributing to Boy Scouts of America, after knowing that they could discriminate against gay boy scouts and gay adults participating, so Vassar and United Way parted ways, and we began our own campaign. Between early November and the end of the calendar year we raise money through fundraising activities, which is then distributed to 10 or 11 different agencies. Today, I am here to invite students, you folks in particular, House Presidents, to consider whether you would like to organize some sort of event to donate to Community Works. It is not obligatory, and you might want to join with other houses, but it is a great way to contribute to the community. Let me tell you about the needs in community, who we are funding this year. In Poughkeepsie there is hunger, homelessness, domestic violence, and students receiving substandard education. There is a striking statistic discovered a year ago, in the Poughkeepsie school district, 80% of students come from homes below the poverty level. Fortunately, lots of people are working to solve this. Some examples are Dutchess Outreach, which hosts annual community events like the Easter egg hunt, a youth empowerment organization, Vassar alumni who work in promoting labor rights and support for undocumented workers in NY state, the Rural and Migrant ministry, the children's media Project, DCSPCA , Dutchess Outreach which I already said, GISEN, Grace Smith House for safe housing, the R.E.A.L. skills network which holds afterschool programs for high schoolers at risk, and we are trying to speed up the shift to a low carbon economy. In our committee, some are students, others are faculty and staff, and it is tough to decide who to fund. We try to alternate between different agencies per year.

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

So that is who we are funding, and I would like to ask you to think about how you can contribute. Some ideas are a party cover fee, a raffle, use your imagination on what to raffle, clothing, brownies, dates, etc. I'm sure you can think of things better than I can. The most important thing to tell you is that I am willing and able support you in this process, if you have an idea and are wondering how to carry it outward, I can step in to help as much as I can. I can help arrange for you to collect money for an event at Vassar using Vcash. Any questions about what I just said or how you might participate?

President: You mentioned Vcash, is that a new thing? Can we do that in houses now?

Community Works: I shouldn't promise it, but we have discussed it with college relations, and they invited me to encourage you folks to ask me and we will deal with the people who run Vcash and see what happens. That would be a great thing, and we are trying.

President: Anyone else?

Finance: Can you give a couple examples of what houses did in the past, I know lots of house presidents haven't been on house team before.

Jewett: We do Assassins, you can sign up for it and we actually already did it this year, and we are going to be donating the money already. It is a few dollars to join, a bunch people get involved.

Joss: Every year, the house team told me last year, we have an action at the end of first semester, and we combine it with the dorm dinner. House team members can fill out an excel thing to submit something to be raffled off. Sometimes the things are abstract, but it usually works.

At-Large: A couple of years ago Cushing had an ice cream Sunday bar, it was 3-4 dollars, and the purchasing money came out of the house team budget. Over 100 people came.

Community Works: That reminds me, most money comes in between now and rest of the year. If you are too busy it is perfectly fine to hold an event in the spring, so feel free to contact me about helping.

SoCos: I participated in an auction, and one thing that was extremely popular, you would have to ask safety and security, was a north lot parking space. I think that alone ran for \$200, so that is a really big way that you can nearly double what you can make.

Cushing: We did the caramel apple sale and made a lot of money from that, any kind of very popular food, it was really easy to buy things in bulk and sell them, we made a lot of money, and we will be donating that as well.

Community Works: I just want to finish one thing. I wasn't aware of all the techniques, so thank you. If you would like to know more about the agencies, go to Vassar's webpage and type in the search box "community works", and there will be links to the webpages of all of these organizations. It is inspiring to read it. Thank you for listening and good luck with the rest of the semester.

5 Forum with Master Planning Committee..... (10 min)

President: Is master planning here? we will go to the next then.

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

Master Planning (After CIRC): Sorry for being late. So the first meeting was last week, and um, we established that the college is in a transitory phase right now, with things like the new science building, and currently they want to get a sense of the efficiency of the college, analyzing class sizes, getting data numbers and specifications, and right now they are thinking about what priorities the school needs to focus on. There is a concrete new class gift, and that gift is going to be an outdoor seating space for student gathering and studying. The master plan committee gave it the go ahead, and they are going to do fundraising. Next is they are going to be designing signs, because Vassar is going smoke free in 2015, so there will be signs around campus saying we are a smoke free campus and don't smoke here. Those will be implemented in the future. The next couple ones are ones that need to be fleshed, the parking is going to be more examined, it will be more in depth on how to make it more efficient and how to make it better for students and faculty, also they want not to have a bunch of spaces everywhere, so they will keep it in a good manner. We are also trying to find a way to deal with the rash issue. In the quad there is an excess of trash bags, so they had an idea of installing dumpsters, so we are trying to find out if this is the best option, and the committee is kind of split. So we are trying decide if we should examine trash and try to deal with it in a better way. And also more speed bumps especially around the THs and the nursery.

2015: So the class gift was going to be installing tables around campus, and that costs half a million dollars, so that won't we happening. Sorry. So the new plan, just so you know, the committee is currently looking into the courtyard in the library, and making it a more accessible study space, or installing solar powered tables with outlets in them outside the retreat. We are examining those possibilities, and there will probably be a meeting this week.

Ferry: How does the committee decide what the student gift will be?

Master Planning Committee: I don't really know, there was proposal, and everyone was okay with it, no one disagreed, so it was decided in an informal way.

Finance: There is a collaboration with the senior class council and the development office before it goes to master planning.

President: Question, last week Art Lidsky came in. What is your committee work with him?

Master Planning Committee: He's going to be coming up with the timetable for all of this, we will meet with him and discuss his ideas and agree or shoot them down and criticize what he wants to bring here.

Student Life: To what degree are you working with the people redesigning the college center?

Master Planning Committee: That is not through master planning, but we are going to meet with the design firm involved with it. We are not directly involved, it is more of a side project for us.

President: So thank you for coming in, it was super helpful.

6 Forum with CIRC..... (10 min)

CIRC: Hello everyone. So basically what CIRC does, basically we are in charge of overseeing Vassar's investments. So we go over and look through them, and we are in charge of a divestment policy, any

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

sort of proxy holding, we see what kind of usage we can pull out of a proxy voting system, with shares we hold, different companies investments can be used as shareholders and we can use that as pseudo-proxy holding. We have only had one meeting thus far, so where we are right now, we are working on the shaping of CIRC. We want to leave an institutional legacy in CIRC, which is taking the form of a guideline policy for divestment. What circumstances should agree divest. We are probably going to be looking for opinions, whether that will be through the VSA, not necessarily to vote but as an open process. We want the opinions of people who have concerns. We have received concerns that a guideline will be too restrictive... or that it is a good idea to maintain presence of CIRC so that it is not a year to year process, so we are looking at different schools like that, and other template guidelines. That is where we stand at the moment. We will be meeting on Tuesday, and I will have more to say perhaps after that. That's where we stand as of now, and we welcome feedback. There will be more in the future.

President: I know that divestment comes out of the board of trustees, so what is your relationship with them?

CIRC: We are an advisory board for the student body. We have no direct power over the board of trustees, we can't say "you shall divest", but we can say as representatives of the student body. CIRC is not all students, we are the only two students, there are administrators, professors, and faculty representatives, and 2 alum. So yeah we are only 1/4 of the voting membership. We have no direct power, but we do make advisory decisions, that theoretically can be taken into consideration based on when the process goes to the trustees.

President: Any other questions?

SoCos: If a guideline document is produced, will that be made public outside of CIRC?

CIRC: That remains to be seen, I guess yes, obviously we want to put it forth for opinion via the VSA, so it will be public. Speaking from my beliefs, I would like to get student feedback.

Finance: They want to make sure that students feel empowered to bring divestment to the committee. In the past, proposals came that were impossible to implement, asking us to eliminate fossil fuels in the next 5 years, and it is impossible to do that, the endowment can't withstand that restructuring in such a small amount of time. The problem was that students were not getting that information, they didn't know that because CIRC was closed off, so they are making an active attempt to give students the tools to bring these proposals. There was a great Boilerplate article, very well researched, about the CIRC committee history and what the authors view as its flaws.

CIRC: We already met once, and will meet twice more before the semester is out. We are being much more proactive, so that if we should receive proposal, probably on Tuesday we will, it won't be something that we have literally a couple of months to decide after the board of trustees have already had their February meeting. Ideally, we will take considerations seriously and work with groups depending how feasible the propositions are.

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

Student Life: Do you know how feasible endowment transparency is?

Finance: Actually it is transparent. There is a 501cs3, and as of that we have to release a certain amount of information. The problem is that the information is not very understandable to people who don't have a lot of experience investing. That being said, there is a plethora of administration happy to explain the confusing parts. The only part not accessible is the name of individual holdings.

CIRC: Yes, comingled funds. We pay a lot of money to choose information, so it is not to your advantage to release information if you doing well.

Strong: Can I ask how if it is not understandable, it is accessible?

Finance: By definition, accessible means that you have access to all information. It is up to you as an individual student to find a way to understand it.

President: Is there a way to make it more understandable? It seems really hard to find a random administrator to ask?

Finance: To me it seems like the appropriate amount of work. If you have pages and pages of information online, including the basics of endowments and how they are structured, you can't expect the school to dedicate tons of resources to explaining it if people are not asking to understand it. They don't know if this is information people want. It is up to you as representatives to understand it.

CIRC: As a representative I will try to make it more transparent for you. I am your liaison, and this is something I also want, it is a personal goal of mine as a personal representative of CIRC. That is a valid concern, and it is something I will work on and anyone who wants to meet with me go over it together can, as a personal representative of CIRC.

President: I wasn't trying to critique, I just think people want to know.

TAs: I have heard rumors that CIRC is pushing to, that there is a push, maybe not from CIRC, a push towards more comingled funds as a means of making it harder for students to try and divest from something. Have you heard anything about that?

CIRC: That is a rumor in a lot of ways. Where did you hear from?

TAs: VTC, the Vassar Transparency Coalition.

CIRC: Generally speaking, that is an option, moving direct investments into comingled funds, but I will say it has not seriously been discussed in CIRC. If it does happen that is important to note, especially if we are in a campaign towards divestment, but yes, it has not seriously been discussed in the CIRC committee.

President: Anyone else? Thank you for coming in, it was super helpful. I have gotten word that master planning is here now

7 Executive Board Reports

a. Activities.....(7 min)

Activities: So we are looking at orgs and pre-orgs currently, establishing stuff for the pre-orgs who have just been approved, assigning them interns in the SARC office so they can start to get meeting spaces

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

reserved and stuff like that. We invited all of the heads of established orgs to meet with us at the Activities meetings. We are currently working at assessment forms for orgs. Pre-orgs need to move through 3 levels and then they are an org, so we want to help move them through and some might be an org by next semester. We are working on assessment forms for all of the orgs, and Activities members will attend 5 meetings of different orgs on campus, and give us the gist of what their actual meetings are like, and if they have any problems, we can address them. We are also talking about a pre-org fair, because typically they are combined with the orgs and the pre-orgs get pushed back. That way, if we highlight pre-orgs, they have a better chance of moving through to org status. We are talking to campus activities, we already had the carnival in UPC, and we are talking about doing a casino night soon. That's about it.

President: Any questions?

b. Finance.....(7 min)

Finance: All fund levels are on track, which is a good thing. We are dipping in a little more into the discretionary fund than I am comfortable with. There were a couple of big discretionary funds, one we are giving to operating, that taxed us a little bit, but I am predicting that there will be more money in there than last year due to higher enrollment. We never know how much money will be there until January, because fees are paid on a semester basis, so we kind of have to hope that all of the money will be there in January. I am thinking that most students, 99%, will come back in January, and if one or two don't come back it doesn't have an impact. Some updates on our projects: The WVKR audit might even be done, it should be done by the end of next week. What we have envisioned for audits, WVKR, VICE, and the MISC, they will be staggered. The MISC hasn't started, that is kicking off this week, and VICE will be at the end of the semester. People working on audits are going to prepare a document, one page per audit, but it might be more, to give you guys a better understanding of how orgs operate, some biggest orgs, and you will be given info as representatives of council and can share it with your constituents. The capital loan system is being worked on, thanks so much for that. We are still working on the student assistance fund project, figuring out how much money to put into that. For those of you who don't remember, it is a fund students can apply to, to put toward extracurricular activities that they otherwise couldn't afford. We are looking at ways to redistribute funding to allow for that. Another thing, we might work on an activities committee fund, to target weekends where there isn't a lot going on, to organize events for those weekends. Examples are the carnival and casino night, which are paid for by the VSA, thrown by Campus Activities who have a large understanding of programming across the board, and can see what nights don't have anything. Hopefully that will be happening. The majority of you haven't given me receipts from Halloween, some have already, most have not. Please send your treasurers to my office hours so I can make sure you are reimbursed for Halloween night food.

8 BIRT Letter Student Life (10 min)

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

Student Life: If you checked your email on Friday, you may have noticed Ed Pittman sent out an email summary of the bias incidents reported to BIRT so far. I think this is really fantastic, I am a huge fan, but I don't think it is enough. There is no guarantee that this email won't ever be sent out again. That specific email was written before Halloween and Ed asked Chris Roellke and Cappy if he could send it out of his office and they said they were uncomfortable with that, so it sat for two weeks, then it got sent out after this letter was written. The tone of this letter is that we need something, and I urge us to sign off on this letter, I urge us to have a database or guarantee of reoccurring emails, some kind of system instead, because administration has a lot of stuff to do and shouldn't this shouldn't take up a lot of his time. The other thing, I feel like I'm preaching to the choir, but it is important to go over this. BIRT is tasked with responding but cannot as a body do anything, individual members can do things, they can do many things, but BIRT as an entity can't do anything, and it has frustrated many members of the committee and me as well. This would give us autonomy, we want a database, and it would be a big step in giving the committee who responds the ability to actually respond to incidents of bias.

Operations: So I think that the letter is really great, my committee reviewed it and all thought it was awesome. Since this is the first time a letter has come in, let me explain it procedurally. We will endorse or not endorse, and if we endorse it gets sent to the people listed at the top. we just need a general majority.

Finance: I just want, I know it is very easy to look at this as something the VSA is doing, but everyone should know the time and stress Hannah has put into this, she has mentioned it every exec meeting, has put in an incredible amount of work, and the final product is very good. It is very important to her, and it is difficult to work with this amount of people in administration, so let's give a lots of knocks to Hannah.

President: The motion on table is to vote to endorse. Is anyone abstaining? No. All in favor? All? Yes. All opposed, none. It is endorsed and we will send it on.

9 VSA/ResLife Amendment.....Student Life and Operations (20 min)

Operations: So, I think at this point everyone's heard what is going on. I will let people speak to all of the documents. I just to make the conversation more productive, so this is going to be following special meeting rules. You can only speak twice any item on the agenda, think carefully, and for at-large members, if you raise your hand you will go straight to the top of the speakers list. I'll let Student Life speak.

Cushing: Question, I don't have any documents.

Student Life: Okay, so, why don't you explain the documents and I'll explain the feelings.

Operations: First thing. So we talked about this in Operations committee, and we ended up writing up that house officers must abide by the Residential Life list of behaviors. We added another point under elections, candidates must verify agreement to abide by expectations if they win. The second document is a proposal from Luis Inoa, it details why this is happening now. It is supplemented with the two

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

letters to VSA council that the HSAs wrote, and last thing is a proposed agreement that Luis Inoa drew up for us. That should be all of the documents.

Student Life: The agenda got sent out ahead of time, but I know sometimes I forget to read it. We want to give people time to read all of the documents. That might clear up any questions before questions happen.

President: We will take a minute to read through everything and then we will decide.

Student Life: We met with HSAs, the council of House Presidents, and the Freshman class council.

2017: In terms of the behavioral agreement itself, do we have any say in it, or is this what res life is sticking with?

Operations: They are pretty receptive to things. I sent an email and they haven't responded so I don't have an answer to that.

Student Life: Okay, Operations and I went and met with different groups of people, and we want to commend all of those groups and the respect shown in those groups. I know this makes a lot of people angry and very frustrated, despite all of that, the conversations we had were fairly productive. First, the HSAs. Their letter is attached. They are fairly pro-amendment. Next, we met with the Freshmen Class Council. We assumed that people in council now will be interested in house teams later on and they also represent the voices of first year students. With the exception of one or two people, they were for this amendment. They didn't get to see the amendment themselves but heard the philosophies behind it. Rebecca can attest to that. Finally House Presidents. I want to give huge shout out to House Presidents, because we specifically asked them to speak from two perspectives, individually and as a representative of their house and house teams at large. I have immense respect for separating their personal opinions and giving a voice to opinions of their house even if they were different from their own. The general consensus was that, with exception of a few houses, they are for the amendment. Again, they were not shown the actual amendment. Other concerns I would like to acknowledge, while people can break these things up, I don't want this to turn into a bad space. This was handled very poorly, house advisors were condescending and rude and did not leave when asked to leave, we sent an email to reslife about that behavior, it was sprung on extremely short notice, the timeline was too strict, the fact that it was for before thanksgiving felt coercive, and tying room privileges with a contract seemed coercive. I want to give voice to the fairly valid complaints that have been articulated. That being said, this is an intentionally crafted amendment, and lots of groups of people will be affected. Shout out to HSAs, this is their second year on house team, bless your souls. After one year I couldn't do it again, so I really appreciate all of the people who have put themselves into crafting this.

At-Large: A clarifying question, the, in terms of contract, do people have the option to sign or get no house draw? No? So no option? Wow that is just absurd.

Academics: I am in agreement a lot with what is going on here. As a House President last year, the largest part of stress in my life was the 3bs conversation with officers. It was horrible and disgusting,

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

and it taxed me more than a lot of things. The ground rules are good. My only response, the current proposed contract uses gendered language.

Student Life: I think we can also expect another amendment in the future, if this passes, if we have explicit acknowledgement that house presidents are res life people too, after that explicit acknowledgement, it makes sense to go forward with some sort of stipend system. Student Fellows receive the 200 VCash, and even if they don't have money for it, it is good to SoCos: Clarifying: elections happen in the spring, so I want to know why under expectations, why expectations continue through the end of the semester even if they are technically not in term at that point, through end of the school year. Elections happen at convocation, there is a new council and new officers at that point, so why do the expectations go through to the end of the school year?

Operations: Because our position turns over in convocation, why are we still under contract? Yes they do turnover, but functionally the house teams don't typically. I'll ask Luis.

TAs: I was on house team for two go-through, not a bad thing, and I feel like, personally speaking, if that is okay, I see no reason why any student leader, I fully support what is being said here in terms of house officers being expected to live to the same standards as reslife people because as student leaders that should be a given.

At-large: speaking as a house officer for two years, I also support this, and I see no reason why they shouldn't be held to that standard. A specific example from my house team, if these rules were in place, my freshman year would have been so different, it was a shit-show, people were not responsible with leadership, there was no distinction 3bs, literally none. As an at-large member and as a house officer, I have no problem abiding by that. I did without a contract, so I would see no difference.

Cushing: First I want to talk about the term 3bs, this is a really important thing, it is in our lingo now, the last one, I guess, is incredibly derogatory and not okay to use. I don't like using that term.

President: You are talking about bang right?

Cushing: Yes. It is an acronym so we like using it but we shouldn't. Second, I just want to talk about the stress that House Presidents went through. HSAs, thanks so much for being here, you are all amazing, you worked really really hard for all of this. When voting on this, I want everyone to think how this will effect house teams next year, dividing up house teams is not going to be nice, officers go through so much work and should be acknowledged. I want everyone to vote for this, think about house teams, please look at it from a house team perspective.

President: As someone on House Team for two years, speaking as ex-strong house president and secretary, it was very much in the culture in strong that the house team would fall in line with this amendment. Specifically, I appreciated having that vibe with the house team, to look to them as leaders, and it did help create a healthier house community. What Essie brought up is crucial.

Davison: Question. Is discussing these issues, if an officer talked to a freshman about drug use, would an officer have to be specifically engaging the prohibited behavior?

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

Student Life: In the language of the contract, if an officer knowingly engages in underage drinking or the use of other illegal substances, he or she may be moved to another house on campus. They won't kick you out of housing for talking about alcohol.

Joss: I guess I'll talk. I just think, you know, I think if we vote no, house teams will fall apart. House teams are a great concept for freshmen. Coming in, to have house team, a bunch of people who look like really good pals and are getting along, the role model function is important. If we vote no on this, I don't think it will be nearly the same as the current house team structure, and I would hate to see that go. I had something else to say. I'm good.

At-large: One exception, when talking in reference to a sexual or romantic situation, it is okay if you are talking about past experience with the freshmen, but if you are sexting them or engaging in talk that is explicit in an interpersonal sense, I consider that a sexual relationship, just to clarify. Don't sext the freshmen.

At-large: I am the Lathrop Freshman Rep. Luis Inoa didn't encompass the 3rd B in the contract?

Student Life: The motion on the table speaks to all of the three, arenas, alcohol, drug use, and romantic sexual relationships. That is what is on the table.

Operations: Actually to clarify, basically what's happening that is different from the student fellow contract, if a consensual relationship develops, it is okay, as long as it is disclosed to the house officers.

Joss: One more thing. Also very quickly, from a realistic perspective, I don't think that these, following these expectations is really much to ask for. I keep losing my train of thought. I'm so sorry, is everybody looking at me?

Cushing: This is my last chance to talk right? Okay, good. So one thing is that Anders, the advisor for Cushing and Noyes, named this relationship thing as amorous relationships, which is a vague term, I don't know how to approach it, but that is what it is. I think sexting is an amorous relationship. So yeah.

At-large: I just wanted to say, we as HSAs have been updated on the language, and it is flexible. We would appreciate feedback so we can pass it on to reslife, we have a very direct line.

2018: I am definitely fully in support of this amendment. I might be reading too into it. In section 2f, if we word it that way, it kind of seems like the office of res life can give any expectations to the house presidents in the future, so maybe we should word that more specifically, rather than must abide by any expectations that the office of reslife gives them.

2017: I mentioned this before, I will mention it again, it is a little in bad faith to talk about how we need to make everyone on house team equal, and not allow us to examine the Student Fellow expectations. The only way we have equality is to bring house officers up to student fellows. There was no question whether all this should be in place at all. There was a refusal to talk about alcohol or drug use at all, not quite truthful about what it was, and representing it as the agreement would have nothing not already contained in the student expectations, which is false. I just wanted to say that. In

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

talking about wording, 2.3.1 does need to have some qualifier at the end, because it gives reslife the power to move someone immediately. Instead of having them say "oh we aren't going to do that" I would rather have it in writing.

Finance: I think that this represents an extraordinary collaborating between members of council dealing with different situations. Thank you to people who played an active part, I think that this is the best option. I would like to say, I don't like the way it had to come about. Also, I have a problem in general, something to discuss future, the way that reslife kind of treats these leadership positions, it is oftentimes unreasonable expectations and reslife employees, honestly we need to discuss appropriate expectations for a volunteer position, and if these positions go above that appropriate expectation, officers should be compensated as they are at many other colleges. They are packed as leadership roles, but if we did not have people readily volunteering, we would have to employ people. It is indicative in this document, oftentimes, that hiring security expensive, so we ask house officers to play a leadership role, and they are not given enough appreciation for what they do. Thank you all, and I think you should be compensated for.

At-large: Two responses, HSAs are being the first responder in talking to officers about breaking the agreement. So if something happened, it would get reported to the HSA, and they would be the first person you chat with. Based on severity the HSA might pass it on. Second, in terms of officers not being recognized for what they do, we remind reslife every single week, they are working on it. Thank you all for being here.

President: We have to wait another week to vote on it anyway. Go think about it in the coming week, and if more thoughts arise, bring them up next week.

10 Constitutiathon Amendments..... Operations (20 min)

Operations: Many members of my committee and not on my committee met to bring the bylaws in line with our current practice. For the first one, we wrote the amendment by article, so I'll go through them all very quickly. In Article 7 we condensed everything, same thing in the next section, we made things briefer. we added a point in art 7 that we need a majority vote to change bylaws, it wasn't stated but implied. We made the ferry house coop just ferry house, clarified the positions of the VPs, put operations down as the liaison between the Seven Sisters, added something to academics, added that the VP of Academics is the liaison to students' academic lives, which is important, and made it so Activities is the liaison to the local community. It was originally listed as the coordinator for Meet Me In Poughkeepsie, but that has been taken over by the Traditions Committee. The VSA president is listed to excuse absences instead of the whole council, because that would be awkward. In the next section we got rid of language that was very confusing, we edited the finance position because that is undergoing lots of restructuring, so we said that the committee is open to all members as determined by the VP of Finance. In the next section we got rid of disciplinary action because it didn't need to be

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

in 3 places. The joint committee language is up to date. We added the safety and security council, and we fixed BOEA so that it has the power to do things that it should have had the power to do. We added that pre-orgs can apply to funds other than the pre-org fund after talking to Finance. We tried to make the language for funds clearer.

Finance: No one told me this was happening.

President: We told you.

Operations: We fixed the Seven Sisters representative section. We fixed a financial aid and admissions section that had a weird thing, this amend changes it back. It had a 5th mysterious student, so we fixed that, and we can talk about changing it again, but we just want it to be up to current practice. The last one is all about BOEA and clearing up things there.

Jewett: Correct me if I'm wrong, the amendment articles that Cushing and I wrote aren't here.

Student Life: I am assuming we accidentally admitted them? What are they?

Jewett: We didn't change a ton, a few things that happened with pre-orgs last year.

Cushing: Pre-orgs can't reserve spaces, so we changed that because they can now. I can pull it up.

Jewett: I didn't see it in the email though. I will pull it up.

Operations: I can project them on the screen.

Jewett: I shared it with you and you were supposed to put it in the folder. I called it the 8th and 9th amendment.

Finance: Can you tell me what committee 29.12 is referring to?

Operations: Admissions and Financial Aid.

Finance: Can you talk about why we struck the chronicle?

Operations: The Chronicle is not news source.

2017: It is released monthly, so there is no place where we would publish anything about elections.

Finance: Did you talk to someone at the Chronicle about this? We added them in a few years ago because they were upset that they were not included. I just wanted to know if they knew.

Operations: Some clarifying language about how orgs renew status, what they can and cannot do is up to date with our current practices, they can use VCash machines and can use the SARC office to reserve, we added a point about how exceptions can be made for pre-orgs getting a budget number from the VP if they consult with the committee first. Each org has a contact person, pre-orgs, not a president. We got rid of something, in order for a pre-org to be approved it must be approved by Activities, Exec, and council, so we took exec out because that was unnecessary. We made pre-orgs approved by consensus. We made it so if an org is in current debt, its recognition may be revoked, not "must", because that doesn't happen, several orgs have been in debt for years.

Jewett: Two clauses had the same wording, so we got rid of one.

Cushing: We also changed the language that the VP had all power, we made it so they are in consultation with their committee.

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

Operations: This one has redundant language. This one we took out the development office, because that doesn't happen, basically it is just the VP of Finance. We took out gendered language, made something a "may" instead of must, took out some words, took out the VSA audit committee because it disappeared.

2016: Why did you take it out, where is says the president of the fresh shall serve as ..why take that out?

Operations: In practice, it never ever happens.

Finance: It did happen.

Operations: It did happen once.

2016: What do you plan to do instead? Have no one until elected?

Operations: Yes, before it was just to have the body in the room.

2017: I just want to mention that 29.10 and 29.11 in section 1 are the same thing.

Operations: Can you repeat that?

2017: Section 1 29.10 and 29.11 are the same thing.

President: Similar to last amendment, we will have to wait one more week to find out what will happen.

11 Open Discussion

Jewett: Dormal Formal will be from 10-12 in the rose parlor, there will be jazz combos, and then at midnight it will be moved to the Villard room with DJs. It will be a blast.

Operations: So now that the external review has officially been funded, I want to give you the details. There is an external reviewer, Student Government (SG) consulting, coming December 3rd and 4th, basically what is going happen, they are going to interview students, at least everyone on council, but you will not all have individual meetings. Also they are going to be interviewing student leaders of student groups, like the Misc and Vice. Our committee also talked about ALANA spectrum, talking more about that Tuesday, and they will be meeting with various administrators including the dean of students, the dean of everything really, and they will hold an open student forum at 6:30 pm in the Villard room, which will also be in an email. I think that is all the relevant information at this point.

Operations committee is spending the next 3 weeks on this. Thank you in advance to my committee and everyone that will be assisting.

Student Life: I want to have a series of shout outs, you guys put in a lot of work on a lot of things.

Operations: 4 hours.

Student Life: Thank you. I expected today to be so terrible, thank you, it wasn't that bad. I really appreciate you folks right now. Also there is a fantastic poetry event Saturday at 8:30, winners of the national poetry slam are going to perform. It is associated by the Asian Student Alliance and Wordsmiths, and there is an opportunity to workshop with them, RSVP if you want to go. It will be sensational, and he is coming back in January, so befriend him. It will be a fantastic time, bring friends, and there is a cool opening act that is mysterious. A surprise.

2018: Ergathon!

VASSAR STUDENT ASSOCIATION
Council Agenda for November 16, 2014

Time: 7:00pm

Location: College Center 223

"I'm never so sure as I was in my mid-20s."-Meryl Streep

Finance: What time are you doing it?

2018: 1-2pm Friday.

Davison: Motion to adjourn.